Matches 1 to 50 of 468 » Thumbnails Only
|1||'Castleton', Castle Road, Torquay, Devonshire, England|
This house was the home of William Distin Webber and his family for a number of years. They were certainly living there (at least) between 1881 and 1901. The house still stands today and is now the home of the Torbay Citizen's Advice Bureau.
|2||'Pontefract': Home of Lebbeus Hordern, Melbourne. (c.1891)|
'Pontefract', on the corner of Hardwicke Street and Whitehorse Road, was designed for Lebbeus Hordern by the architect, Mr H. J. Prockter. The 11 roomed house was designed with Marseilles pattern roofing tiles, large verandahs, and gables with Tudor detailing which were associated with the Queen Anne style of British housing.
'Pontefract' was built c.1891 on the western side of an allotment of land which comprised nine suburban plots. Sited on the brow of a hill it had superb views west across the Deepdene dip to Burke Road, north to the Great Dividing Range and east to the Dandenongs. Together with the Reid house Belmont, which was diagonally opposite on Whitehorse Road, Pontefract would have been a significant landmark for anyone travelling from Kew to Balwyn and beyond.
Between the house and Percy Street were paddocks where the Hordern's horses and cow grazed. The coach house and stables, with driver's quarters above, were located north of the house.
Louisa Hamilton, granddaughter of Lebbeus and Louisa Hordern, remembers her visits to Pontefract which she recalls as being light and airy - not at all like those Victorian houses with their dark and heavy furniture. Lebbeus and Louisa purchased much of the house furnishings when on an extended overseas trip in 1887. Louisa also remembers the large conservatory on the northern side of the house, her grandfather's photographic dark room beneath the dining room, and playing hide-and-seek in the extensive cellars under the house.
|3||'Stramshall', 173 Auburn Road, Hawthorn, VIC|
This is the home that was built for William Hordern and Cecilia Monger by her father, William Monger. The Horderns lived there until 1917. On the left is the house shortly after it was built and on the right, the house as it appeared when it was auctioned around 1964.
The auctioneers listing says this about the house:
"Constructed for William Hordern esq. at the beginning of the land boom of the 1880's, "Stramshall" is a spendid example of the Italianate form of architecture so popular in the late-victorian era.
During the decade, many of Melbourne's most imposing residences were built, generally occupying the choice hilltop locations in the burgeoning suburbs of the fledgling metropolis.
Remaining in the original owner's family until 1917, "Stramshall" was subsequently converted to flats and remained as such until 1965 when it was purchased by the present owners. Carefully restored to highlight its abundant architectural and decorative features and subtly upgraded to incorporate modern facilities, it has provided comfortable and charming accommodation for a large family for almost thirty years.
Of triple brick construction, set on massive bluestone foundations and roofed in Welsh slate, Stramshall is a stately and substantial residence of some 490 sq metres or approximately 53 squares, having twelve principal rooms of mansion proportions.
On the ground floor a spectacular tessellated entrance foyer and stair hall open to three grand reception rooms and the current owners' master bedroom, which could be utilised as a fourth living area if desired. There is a well equipped Brazillian black bean kitchen, a cosy study with access to the walk-down wine cellar and a luxuriously appointed bathroom. The first floor comprises four enormous bedrooms, two complete bathrooms and a further two double bedrooms and kitchenette, the latter being readily adaptable to a self-contained granny flat if required. A wide return verandah on the ground floor and corresponding balcony on the first floor are both trimmed in elaborate cast iron filigree.
No fewer than eight marble fireplaces including two exquisite rouge marble examples grace the main rooms and original plaster work and detailed joinery are retained in beautifully preserved condition."
|4||49, Princes Gate, Kensington, London|
The London home of Frederick Richards Leyland and the house that once contained the famous "Peacock Room". For a detailed look at this house and the work of Whistler there, click here.
|5||Aberdeen, Firhill Place|
This photograph shows Firhill Place as it is today but it was the home of the DUTHIE family in the 1871 census.
|6||ALABONE, Dr, Edwin William|
This photograph, signed by Edwin was taken at his graduation at the Royal College of Surgeons
|7||All Saints Parish Church, Fawley, Hampshire, England.|
|8||Allied Military Currency - WW2|
Allied Military Currency was issued for use in France, Germany, Italy and Japan and for a short time in Korea, Denmark and Austria. The currency was issued to combat the effects of black market activity and the associated need to stabilise the local economy. They were issued to military personnel generally for use on base only. When, for example, the Germans left Greece, they first flooded the country with counterfeit currency to de-stabilise the economy. AMC was issued to the allies until the local currency stabilised. (Notes dated 1943)
|9||Alvah House, Lewis Street, St Helier, Jersey|
This house was the home of the Donoghue family at the time of the registration of residents in 1940/41
|10||Anthony Horden and Sons Ltd (pre 1901)|
This is a sketch of the Hordens store in the Haymarket, Sydney, before that fire that destroyed it in 1901.
|11||Anthony Hordern and Sons Ltd (post 1905)|
This is a photograph of the newly-built store in the Haymarket, Sydney. It replaces the old store that was destroyed by fire in 1901.
|12||Ballot Box (The), Public House, Greenford, Middlesex c.1922|
This photograph of The Ballot Box P.H., was taken around the 1920s. Aaron Wooster was the publican there for a number of years. The pub was demolished around 1937/8 and rebuilt some time after this on a new site at the bottom of the hill. To see it as it looks today, click here.
|13||Band of the 1st Gloucestershire Regiment (c.1910)|
Drummer PTE James Mitchell (7058), is the bass drummer of the band and is situated in the front row, 3rd from the right.
|14||BARHAM [SHIPMAN], Helen Foster (AKA Nell Shipman)|
This photograph is of Nell in the heyday of her acting and film producing career in the mid-1920's.
|15||BARNETT, Joseph Frederick Allan (b.1922)|
|16||BARNETT, Joseph Frederick Allan (b.1922)|
|17||BASSETT, Ellen (b.1876)|
This photo of unknown origin or age but as a guess, I would say it was taken between 1920 and 1930. If anyone knows differently, please let me know and I will give full credit to the original owner.
|18||BASSETT, Francis (Frank)|
|19||BASSETT, Francis (Frank) with his 2nd wife, Alida|
|20||BASSETT, Francis (Frank) with his 2nd wife, Alida|
This photograph taken in October 1947
|21||BASSETT, Francis (Frank), 1871-1953|
This photograph taken in 1931
|22||BASSETT, George and Euphilia|
This photo shows some of the Bassett family as follows:
Standing: Elizabeth; Caleb; Henry; George; Emily Jane
Seated: Euphilia (Mother); George (Father); Adeline
Note that the names are taken from the back of the photograph and may not be accurate.
This photograph was taken on the day of Gertrude's marriage to George Henry Scholfield in Providence, Rhode Island, USA.
This photograph was taken on the occasion of Gertrude's 100th birthday.
|25||BASSETT, Matilda Annie (1897-1958)|
|26||BASSETT, Phyllis Gladys 1895-1971|
|27||Beatrice Fanny Harriet Stagg (nee Lewcock) (1879-1973)|
|28||BELLAMY, Charles and spouse TOZER, Annie|
|29||Bighton Manor Entrance|
This is the main gate to Bighton Manor. To the right (the wooden gate), is the entrance to All Saints Church which is tucked away and almost impossible to see from the drive gates.
|30||Bighton Village Shop and Post Office c.1915|
This shop was home (and work) to John and Harriet Butcher for a number of years. John was a Baker and he and his wife ran a bakery from the shop and post office store until their death in 1860. During those years, they were ably assisted by their newphew, Isaac Norgate. Isaac followed in the footsteps of his uncle and was probably trained by him.
After the death of John and Harriet, Isaac - who never married - took over the shop and served the village for the rest of his life - a total of 60 years!
|31||Bighton, Hampshire: All Saints Church|
Almost everyone in the village of Bighton was probably either baptised, married or had their funeral at this little church! Indeed many are buried there! Included amongst them were many of the Butcher families that were so prevalent in the village.
I took this photograph from the graveyard around the back of the 12th century church.
|32||Bighton: All Saints Church|
This view is taken from just inside the wooden entrance gates adjacent to Bighton Manor. It shows the main entrance to the church behind the iron gate.
|33||Bighton: All Saints Church, internal view.|
This panorama of the inside of All Saints Church shows (on the right) the font which is made from Purbeck Marble. The church organ is tucked away behind the camera position in the left of this picture.
|34||Bighton: All Saints Church, the organ.|
This photograph is of the church organ which is situated at the rear of the church tucked away in the corner.
|35||Bighton: The Three Horseshoes Public House.|
Located on the original coaching route between London and Winchester, The Three Horsehoes would have been a welcome break for travellers and has been in existence since at least the 17th century. In those days it was owned by the lord of Bighton Manor and would have been occupied by a publican appointed by him. The ale was probably brewed on site from malt produced down at the malthouse.
|36||BLACKBURN, Maurice McCrae (1880-1944)|
|37||BOUMAN [nee Cleaver], Violet Agnes and son, Jan Bouman|
|38||BRANDON, Richard (1770-1834)|
|39||BRANDON, Richard (1842-1898)|
|40||BRICKNELL, Edgar Cyril and his wife Lily (nee Jarrett)|
|41||BRICKNELL, Francis Charles Johnston|
|42||BRIMBLE, Louisa (1888-1984)|
|43||Brimscombe Port, Near Stroud, Gloucestershire, England|
Just to the right of centre in this picture is Port Mill with the water tower dominating the roof-line of the mill which was re-built in 1811.
At one time Brimscombe Port (opened in 1789) was a focal point as the Headquarters for the Thames and Severn Canal. Sea-going Severn trows came all the way up to Brimscombe from the River Severn. They could not navigate further onto the Stroudwater canal because they were too large. So, at the Port, goods were transferred to narrower boats to transport cargo through the Sapperton Tunnel to the River Thames and beyond.
Goods and freight were of all sorts, including cloth and wool but predominately, the port was used to store coal. In fact, an island in the port was used for this purpose because it provided ideal security against theft of this valuable commodity by local people!
The canal and port finally closed in 1933.
|44||Brondesbury Baptist Chapel, Kilburn Rise, Hampstead, London|
Built in 1878, the chapel finally closed in 1980 and was demolished to make way for a block of flats. This chapel was where Frank King-Head and Selina Smith married in 1917. The photoghraph is a taken looking up Kilburn High Road.
|45||BRYANT, Frederick William|
|46||At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.|
|47||BURLINGHAM, Hannah (1859-1922)|
Hannah married Charles Eggleton on 2 March 1882 in West Dulwich.
|48||BUTCHER, Leslie Walter (1910-1962)|
This photo was taken outside Newbury Ambulance Depot (c.1960) where Leslie worked as an Ambulance Driver.
|49||BUTLER, Sir Edmund 'MacRichard' (1425-1464)|
|50||CAMPBELL, Margaret (1884-1961)|