Merville Communal Cemetery, Merville, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Merville Communal Cemetery was used by French troops (chiefly cavalry) in October 1914, and for Commonwealth burials from that date until August 1916 (in the case of officers, to March 1918). It now contains 1,268 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, and 12 French war graves. There is also 1 non war burial. Merville Communal Cemetery Extension was opened in August 1916, and used by Commonwealth and Portuguese hospitals until April 1918. It was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields immediately north and east of Merville and from Caudescure Halte Cemetery, Morbecque. The Extension now contains 920 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 345 of them unidentified.
|1||CWGC Commemoration: DORE, Herbert Thomas (1916)|
|2||CWGC Commemoration: MALPAS, (William) Henry, aka "Harry" (1916)|
Serviceman 21821, Harry was serving with the 16th Battalion, Cheshire Regiment, when he was Killed in Action on 28 April 1916.